12 Dec 2012

Book Cover Project Evaluation

What was the theme for the project?
The theme for our project was the fairytale Little Red Riding Hood which Roald Dahl has written a poem of.
How have you developed your ideas? How did your work change through the project?

I drew many different pictures of wolves on a double page spread, we also used lots of different medias to work with, to see which ones we liked the best. Throughout the project my drawings improved as i got used to the different medias and styles of drawing and painting.
How much reference material did you find? Do you think you should have done more or less? I used quite a lot of reference material of my own and some that we were given, I probably could have used a few more pictures to inspire me for ideas.
What artists or designers have you looked at to help and inspire you?

We looked at Scott Campbell who is a well known artist who has a very different style of drawing.
What materials, tools and techniques did these artists use?

Scott Campbell uses gouache which is a type of paint, he mixes it with waterand dilutes it like watercolour.
How have your skills developed during the project?                                                                      I think my skills have developed quite a bit as i have improved my drawings and paintings throughout the project.
Are there any aspects of your studies that you wish you had explored further?
I probably should have looked at more different drawings of woods and trees also looked at more drawings of Little Red Riding hood.
How have you used formal elements such as line, tone, colour and shape?
I used a biro to add tone to some of the drawings i did, also with the gouache I mixed it with water to make different shades of grey and black. As we were only allowed to use one colour I used red on Little Red Riding Hood's coat. I used tone again when i used the ink.                                                                                                                                                    What materials did you use, and why? Did they work successfully?
I used ink, which was very successful because it left a very nice texture when the ink had nearly ran out on the paintbrush. I used gouache on some of the paintings and drawing in my sketchbook. I used graphite on one of the drawings in my book. we also used charcoal on pictures of wolves.

What meaning and messages did you want to convey and were you successful?
I wanted to make my book cover scary like a horror book, i think i was quite successful because I made the writing look like someone had written on a wall and the font on the back looks like someone has cut all different letters out of a magazine like they do on horror movies.

Are you happy with your final piece? Are there any elements you like in particular?
Is there anything you would change? Why?








No comments:

Post a Comment